Explore site reliability engineering practices and learn key Google Cloud Platform (GCP) services such as CSR, Cloud Build, Container Registry, GKE, and Cloud Operations to implement DevOps
- Learn GCP services for version control, building code, creating artifacts, and deploying secured containerized applications
- Explore Cloud Operations features such as Metrics Explorer, Logs Explorer, and debug logpoints
- Prepare for the certification exam using practice questions and mock tests
DevOps is a set of practices that help remove barriers between developers and system administrators, and is implemented by Google through site reliability engineering (SRE).
With the help of this book, you’ll explore the evolution of DevOps and SRE, before delving into SRE technical practices such as SLA, SLO, SLI, and error budgets that are critical to building reliable software faster and balance new feature deployment with system reliability. You’ll then explore SRE cultural practices such as incident management and being on-call, and learn the building blocks to form SRE teams. The second part of the book focuses on Google Cloud services to implement DevOps via continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD). You’ll learn how to add source code via Cloud Source Repositories, build code to create deployment artifacts via Cloud Build, and push it to Container Registry. Moving on, you’ll understand the need for container orchestration via Kubernetes, comprehend Kubernetes essentials, apply via Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), and secure the GKE cluster. Finally, you’ll explore Cloud Operations to monitor, alert, debug, trace, and profile deployed applications.
By the end of this SRE book, you’ll be well-versed with the key concepts necessary for gaining Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer certification with the help of mock tests.
What you will learn
- Categorize user journeys and explore different ways to measure SLIs
- Explore the four golden signals for monitoring a user-facing system
- Understand psychological safety along with other SRE cultural practices
- Create containers with build triggers and manual invocations
- Delve into Kubernetes workloads and potential deployment strategies
- Secure GKE clusters via private clusters, Binary Authorization, and shielded GKE nodes
- Get to grips with monitoring, Metrics Explorer, uptime checks, and alerting
- Discover how logs are ingested via the Cloud Logging API
Who this book is for
This book is for cloud system administrators and network engineers interested in resolving cloud-based operational issues. IT professionals looking to enhance their careers in administering Google Cloud services and users who want to learn about applying SRE principles and implementing DevOps in GCP will also benefit from this book. Basic knowledge of cloud computing, GCP services, and CI/CD and hands-on experience with Unix/Linux infrastructure is recommended. You’ll also find this book useful if you’re interested in achieving Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer certification.
Table of Contents
- DevOps, SRE & Google Cloud Services for CI/CD
- SRE Technical Practices – Deep Dive
- Understanding Monitoring & Alerting to target Reliability
- Building SRE Teams and Applying Cultural Practices
- Manage Source Code
- Build, Push & Deploy Container Images
- Understanding Kubernetes Essentials to Deploy Containerized Applications
- Understanding GKE constructs to deploy containerized applications
- Securing the Cluster using GKE Security Constructs
- Exploring GCP Cloud Operations